Monday, February 17, 2014

Tour Kick Off - Meet and Greet - Wakefield by Erin Callahan and Troy H. Gardner



Young Adult Paranormal
Date Published: October 2012

Orphans Astrid Chalke and Max Fisher meet when they’re sent to live at Wakefield, a residential and educational facility for teens with psychiatric and behavioral problems. Astrid’s roommate cuts herself with anything sharp she can get her hands on and Max’s roommate threatens him upon introduction. 

Just as Astrid and Max develop a strong bond and begin to adjust to the constant chaos surrounding them, a charming and mysterious resident of Wakefield named Teddy claims he has unexplainable abilities. Sometimes he can move things without touching them. Sometimes he can see people’s voices emanating from their mouths. Teddy also thinks that some of the Wakefield staff are on to him. 

At first, Astrid and Max think Teddy is paranoid, but Max’s strange, recurring dreams and a series of unsettling events force them to reconsider Teddy’s claims. Are they a product of his supposedly disturbed mind or is the truth stranger than insanity?




#1 – Do You See Writing as a Career?
Troy: I sure hope so.
Erin: I have a full time job, so it’s more of a glorified hobby at this point.

#2 – What was the Hardest Part of Your Writing Process?
Troy: Minutia editing. I love writing a scene for the first time and discovering dialogue, but it’s the endless tweaking that drains me.
Erin: Getting started. Once I have a decent grasp on a scene, concept, or character, I’m fine. But getting to that point can be tough for me.

#3 – Did you have any One Person Who Helped You Out with Your Writing Outside of Your Family?
Troy: I bounce ideas off various people depending on the projects I’m considering.
Erin: Um, Troy – he’s a fantastic sounding board.

#4 – What is next for your writing?
Troy: Book three in the Mad World series should be out around mid summer of this year.
Erin: Ditto. Both of us are also working on various solo projects.

#5 – Do you have an addiction to reading as well as writing? If so, what are you currently reading?
Troy: My reading addiction is going awhile without reading, and then binging on a novel in one sitting. Last one was Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.
Erin: I’ve fallen into the bad habit of reading four to five books at a time. Right now I’m in the middle World War Z, Quiet by Susan Cain, 1Q84, and Weetzie Bat.

DESCRIBE Your Book in 1 Tweet:
Troubled teens Max and Astrid bond while questioning the true nature of the psychiatric treatment facility where they are forced to live. #DamagedTeenMagicians

This or That?

#1 - iPod or Mp3? 
Troy: I’m so out of touch.
Erin: Neither. When I’m not streaming music via Spotify, I’m listening to good old-fashioned vinyl.

#2 – Chocolate or Vanilla?
Troy: Vanilla
Erin: Chocolate.

#3 – Mashed Potatoes or French Fries?
Troy: Mashed Potatoes
Erin: Definitely mashed – there’s nothing like comfort food.

#4 – Comedy or Drama?
Troy: Comedy. No, drama. No, comedy. Dramedy.
Erin: I tend to lean toward comedy most of the time, but when I think about the works of fiction that have stuck with me, most of them are dramas.

#5 – Danielle Steel or Nicholas Sparks?
Troy: Honestly? Neither are my taste.
Erin: Yeah. Pass. The film version of The Notebook had Ryan Gosling in it and I still didn’t like it.

#6 – Fantasy or Reality?
Troy: Fantasy.
Erin: I enjoy realism, but there can be a lot of truth in fantasy. Can I cheat and say mythology?

#7 – Call or Text?
Troy: Text.
Erin: Definitely text. I know that sounds impersonal, but I think some of the best conversations I’ve ever had have been via text message. Some people really open up when they know you can’t see or hear them.

#8 – Public School or Home School?
Troy: Public
Erin: Public.

#9 – Coffee or Hot Chocolate
Troy: Hot chocolate
Erin: Coffee over hot chocolate, but I’m more of a tea drinker.

#10 – eBook or Paperback?
Troy: I prefer paperbacks but I mostly read eBooks.
Erin: I’ve become partial to eBooks in the past year or so. I love that I can have the all books I’m currently reading on me at all times.




Erin Callahan lives with her husband in the bustling metropolis of Hooksett, New Hampshire, and works for the federal government. She enjoys reading and writing young adult fiction, playing recreational volleyball, and mining the depths of pop culture for new and interesting ideas. A year after graduating from law school, she found herself unemployed and took a job as a case manager at a residential facility similar to the one featured in Wakefield. Though she worked there for just over a year, the strange and amazing kids she met will forever serve as a well of inspiration.

Troy H. Gardner grew up in New Hampshire and graduated with a B.A. in English/Communications with a dual concentration in film and writing from the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. He spent ten years working in the banking industry dreaming up numerous stories to write. When not writing, which is seldom, Troy busies himself jet-setting from Sunapee, NH to Moultonborough, NH.




February 18 - Books A to Z - Excerpt
February 19 - Paranormal Romance and Authors We Love - Review
February 20 - Mom With a Kindle - Interview
February 21 - Laurie's Thoughts and Reviews - Excerpt
February 22 - The Readers Hollow - Excerpt
February 22 - Once Upon a YA Book - Review
February 23 - Andi's YA Books - Guest Post
February 24 - Fang-Freakin-Tastic Reviews - Review
February 25 - The YA Lit Chick - Review
February 26 - Dream Big... Read Often - Interview
February 27 -Mythical Books - Guest Post
February 28 - A Book and a Latte - Review
March 1 - Books Direct - Review
March 2 - Wicca Witch 4 - Guest Post
March 3 - Donnie Darko Girl - Review
Marcy 3 - I'm a Voracious Reader - Review
March 4 - Wall to Wall Books - Review 
March 5 - Deal Sharing Aunt - Guest Post
March 6 - Word to Dreams - Excerpt
March 7 - Genuine Jen - Review
March 10 - Megan Likes Books - Review
March 11 - Book Lovers Life - Review
March 12 - Always Jo Art - Guest Post
March 13 - Rythem Poets - Review
March 14 - Hooked in a Book - Review
March 15 - Electively Paige - Review
March 16 - RABT Reviews - Wrap Up


No comments:

Post a Comment